Sunday, March 25, 2007

GPS AND Weather Radar, one screen, and how to switch gauges!

I found a solution for using GPS and Weather Radar on the 7" GPS Screen in the simulator (so both gauges are stacked) and switch between them!

First, I found Reality XP, who makes a lot of various avionics gauges. Check them out at:


I bought their WX-500 Weather Radar, which is a gauge that is resizable in game. Great, but the problem was still how to stack two gauges on top of each other and switch back and forth between them. I found no way to do that originally which is why I was looking for a GPS/Weather all in one solution. 

Well I found the answer!

Here's what you do:

Go into your Microsoft Flight Simulator 9 folder and look for the Aircraft folder. Open that and open the folder of the aircraft you fly. Inside is a panel.cfg file. Open that with wordpad or the like. You'll see some various [window] sections, like

[window00]
[window01]
[window02]

Etc.

One will be your GPS screen. In the case of Reality XP they provide a program that auto sets up the panel.cfg to include a [window] section for the weather radar. In my case it was [window08]

Ok so if you go into the menus in flight sim and open up both gauges, they are on screen. In my case I get them over to the 7" GPS screen but one is on top of the other. How to switch? Well the secret is not to switch back and forth, but to TURN ON/OFF the one that is on TOP! You turn a gauge on/off by pressing SHIFT-X, where X = the WINDOW NUMBER! 

So I put out the weather radar screen (window08) and then on top of that the GPS screen (window03). If I press SHIFT-3 it will turn on/off the GPS gauge thus revealing the weather radar below! I assigned shift-3 to one of my GoFlight P8 buttons and now, I can switch back and forth between GPS and Weather Radar on the 7" GPS screen but turning on/off the GPS gauge! It works GREAT! I have not yet figured out if I can customize keyboard buttons to change weather radar functions but that is to come.

Click here to see a movie of this feature in action:

http://www.mycessnasim.com/movies/mycessnasim_gps_wxr.avi

Matt

VATSIM Pilot, USA-W
Coral Airlines, N324CR
Pilot ID: 908853

1 comment:

MyCessnaSim said...

UPDATE: I've found out that each gauge has a config file (.ini file) that lists out EACH feature of the gauge and has an equals sign next to it. You put in what key combo you want.. IE CONTROL-SHIFT-F4 and bam, done! So each option is configured to whatever keyboard combination you want. You can then program your keyboard encoder, goflight button, whatever to that same combo and you are now controlling the weather radar options via buttons. Reality XP rocks!

Matt
MyCessnaSim.com